Can Home Insurance Cover a Vacation Home?

At Wine Valley Insurance Services in Napa, CA, our customers entrust us with their most precious asset–their home. Some of our clients may only come to Napa, CA at certain times of the year to live in their vacation homes. When insuring a secondary residence, navigating the insurance process can require skilled assistance. 

Can My Home Insurance Policy Cover a Secondary Residence?

Whether you have an existing home insurance policy or want a new one, the laws and regulations tend to be the same for homeowners who wish to insure a secondary residence, such as a vacation property. Since home insurance policies only allow policyholders to list one primary residence, you will need a second type of policy to protect your vacation home from damage, liability, and other costs that can come with being a vacation homeowner. If this sounds daunting, you don’t have to worry. Our team of professionals is happy to walk new and returning clients through the insurance process, so you never have to go through it alone.

Depending on how you use the vacation home, its location, and other factors, some secondary home insurance policies may better suit your circumstances than others. You’ll probably need a rental and secondary dwelling insurance policy if you rent your vacation home while not living there. This is also known as “landlord’s insurance.” Suppose the house is vacant and not rented when you’re not staying there. In that case, depending on your circumstances, you’ll still want to have a secondary or seasonal home insurance policy.

To protect your vacation home against theft, damage, liability, and other concerns, call our Wine Valley Insurance Services office in Napa, CA today!